Law Office of Tiffany Heah

Providing Simple Solutions

Thinking of Moving to the US?

If you are thinking of moving to the US or even planning to come to the US for a few months, you should do some tax planning first before inadvertently becoming a US person for tax purposes. In the US, you are treated as a US person for tax purposes if you are a US citizen, a US green card holder or if you meet the Substantial Presence Test (subject to certain exceptions). As a US person for tax purposes, you are generally subject to US taxes on your worldwide income. Before your immigration attorney files your application with the USCIS or before you purchase your plane ticket, think before you act.